On November 15 the Bay Islands Chamber of Commerce celebrated its 10th anniversary. This year the Chamber held its first Bay Islands Business Awards at Henry Morgan Resort in West Bay. The November 12 gala and ceremony brought in around 150 Roatan business leaders. The event was sponsored by Port of Roatan.
“An incentive and appreciation must be shown to all business for their efforts of staying afloat during our country’s political problems and market downturn,” said Ana Svoboda, president of the Chamber of Commerce. Svoboda emphasized the difficulty of doing business on the Bay Islands in a recovering global economy and aftermath of 2009 political crisis in Honduras.
Three prior presidents of the Chamber of Commerce received plaques of recognition: Rita Thompson de Morris (2000 – 2006), Andrés Cardona (2006 – 2008) and Salvador Díaz (2008 – 2010). The gathered business people observed a minute of silence to recognize the death of Arnold Morris, a Roatan businessman and longtime resident, who in 2004 was arrested on Roatan, handed over to the FBI and served a jail sentence for fraud.
The winners of the 2010 First Bay Islands Business Awards 2010:
- Excellence through Education – ANACARIBE
- Excellence in Promotion of Entrepreneurial Spirit – Port of Roatan
- Excellence in Human Resource Development – ANACARIBE
- Excellence through Social Responsibility & Community Contribution – Bananarama
- Innovation through Technology – ACME Sanitation
- Excellence in Tourism – Iguana Farm
- The Green Award – Keyhole Bay
- Most Promising New Business – San Simon Beach Club
- Entrepreneur of the Year – Loren Monterroso
- Business of the Year – Serrano Industrial
- Lifetime Achievement Business Award – Meade Hyde
- Press Award – Leonel Vides of Radio Caracol